Well, it’s almost February, which means the “holidays” are over. The temperature is getting warmer and those giant piles of snow in the parking lot are getting smaller and smaller with each day. As I see Christmas trees finally being taken down and left on the curbs, it gave me pause to think about what I enjoy so much about the holidays (other than the days off of work, which are always awesome.) It also made me start to wonder why there are certain excellent holiday traditions that are only present during the holidays. With the idea of extending my favorite Christmas traditions throughout the year, I came up with a list of 5 things that I believe should not be restricted to the Christmas season.
1. Eggnog – Why don’t we drink eggnog year round? I understand that it’s full of calories and isn’t exactly healthy for you, but it’s so good! Surely it shouldn’t be a crime to indulge in a little ‘nog once or twice a month during the non-winter months?
2. Gift Giving – The occasions for giving someone a gift are too far and few between. Christmas, birthdays and anniversaries are pretty much it. Out of 365 days, we’ll only give someone a gift on 3 of them? That’s less than 0.1%. We should give more gifts – whether it’s a gift of time, a wrapped gift you bought at the store, or even a hand-made card. Gifts rock.
3. Christmas Lights – There’s something that is so happy about Christmas lights. They come in different colors or are simply white. Some of them blink, others flash in fun patterns, and some are on as constant beacons of light to shine light in the darkness. Having Christmas lights up is like bringing the stars down to street level. Nights are much prettier with Christmas lights and I would support a petition to start a new line of Spring, Summer, and Fall lights. Or “Just because I like lights” Lights.
4. Celebration of Jesus – As they’ll say in Christmas commercials, “He’s the reason for the season.” But He is really the reason for everything, not just for Christmas. The whole reason many of us continue in our walks to grow closer to God, and the path for us to walk to grow closer to God, is through the big JC – Jesus Christ. That’s cause for celebrating Christ for more than just the 4 weeks before December 25th. It’s even bigger than celebrating Him every Sunday. I believe that as Christians who are walking in Christ, we should celebrate Jesus every day, every hour, with everything we do. All unto the Lord!
5. Peace on Earth, Good Will Towards Man – Why do we say this only during the holidays? This should be a constant desire and prayer for all of us. Otherwise, it’s “war on earth, hate men.” That is not good. The spirit of loving others and having peace and harmony on earth (heaven on earth anyone?) is a desire of my heart. Let’s strive to achieve this all year. Let’s put forth the thoughts ad prayers that this can be attained NOW and can be ever-lasting.
So, in honor of the holiday spirit, which I think we should continue throughout the entire year, here’s a gift from me to you! It’s a very special What’s Cooking at DD Christmas Spirit Giveaway!
One winner will receive the Bath & Body Works Signature Collection Triple Moisture Body Cream and Fragrance Mist in the Twilight Woods scent. (ARV $24)
I’m doing this a little differently so we can share each others favorite holiday traditions. Your qualifying entries must be posted as a COMMENT. To get your extra entries you must use THIS ENTRY FORM. I will be diligently removing non-qualifying entries from the comment section, so if you don’t use THIS ENTRY FORM FOR EXTRA ENTRIES, they will all be deleted. Consider yourself warned. 🙂
Ways to Earn Entries:
Make sure you use this ENTRY FORM for your extra entries to count!
- THIS ENTRY IS REQUIRED FOR ALL OTHER ENTRIES TO BE VALID (+1): Remember to post this as a comment.Tell me what Holiday tradition you wish was year round.
- Post this giveaway on your blog (+3)
- Tweet about this giveaway using the “retweet” link at the top of this post or by tweeting “I’m keeping the holiday spirit alive all year long in the @WCatDD Christmas Spirit Giveaway! http://bit.ly/74zeSC” (+1)
- Subscribe to WCatDD (+1)
- Follow WCatDD on Twitter (+1)
- Fan our WCatDD Facebook Page (+1)
- Follow us on Google Friend Connect (+1)
- Follow us using Network Blogs (+1)
- Add the WCatDD button to Your Site (+2)
- ONE TIME BONUS: Vote for us for the Web’s Top Giveaway Blogs (+2). After voting, don’t forget to comment on this post as well for your chance to win $100 if we win!
One winner will be selected at random for this prize.
Giveaway ends at 11:59 PM EST, February 1, 2010.
Visit our Giveaway Rules page for general giveaway rules that also apply to this giveaway.
Disclaimer: No compensation was given for this review/giveaway. I did NOT receive any free product and the prizes are provided by me!