Practically every holiday that I can recall, my family has had biscuits or rolls at the table. Sometimes for special dinner occasions, we would have crescent rolls, which my brother and I would have to take turns grabbing at because we ate them so fast (hey! I couldn’t let him have more rolls than me!) Pillsbury refrigerated dough has been a staple in my fridge for years – even when they went through a brief stint with individually packaged biscuits (anyone remember those?) In all those years of eating Pillsbury rolls, I didn’t even consider using them for something other than what they were intended until MyBlogSpark told me about three appetizer recipes you could make using Pillsbury Refrigerated Crescent Rolls or Pillsbury Crescent Recipe Creations refrigerated seamless dough sheets.
Crescent Bacon-Cheese Tartlets
1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated crescent dinner rolls or 1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury® Crescent Recipe Creations® refrigerated seamless dough sheet
1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1/4 cup chopped cooked bacon
1 tablespoon chopped green onion (1 medium)
3 tablespoons whipping cream
1. Heat oven to 375°F.
2. If using crescent rolls: Unroll dough into 1 large rectangle on work surface. Press into 12×9-inch rectangle, firmly pressing perforations to seal. If using dough sheet: Unroll dough on work surface. Press into 12×9-inch rectangle.
3. Cut dough into 12 squares. Gently press squares into 12 ungreased mini muffin cups, shaping edges to form rims 1/4 inch high. Spoon cheese evenly into dough-lined cups. Top each with bacon and onion. In small bowl, beat egg and whipping cream with wire whisk or fork until blended. Spoon slightly less than 1 tablespoon mixture into each cup.
4. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until edges are golden brown and filling is set. Cool 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups.
I had to modify the cooking directions a little bit because I didn’t notice that I needed mini muffin cups. Instead of 12 mini tartlets, we ended up making 8 BIG tartlets using normal muffin molds. Another tip is to make sure you flour your work surface if you need to press seams or roll out the dough to make sure the dough doesn’t stick to the board or countertop. Other than the little hiccup with rolling out the dough, everything else was really easy. To make my life easier, I used pre-cooked bacon bits and already shredded swiss cheese, so assembly was just a little bit of chopping, mixing and then scooping into the dough-lined muffin cups.
Here’s a photo of our Crescent Bacon-Cheese Tartlets in the oven:
And here’s a picture of the Pillsbury Crescent Bacon-Cheese Tartlets after they’ve been baked:
For the record, these tartlets tasted absolutely delicious. I loved that the dough made them look like little flowers filled with yummi-ness. It was the perfect blend of bread, egg, and bacon flavors – with no one flavor over-powering the others. Each bite contained the perfect amount of the almost omelet-style mixture. One tester thought these tasted like the baked biscuits grandma used to make, with a side of bacon and scrambled eggs. “It’s like a home-cooked breakfast meal in a bite-size taste.” The Pillsbury Crescent Rolls cooked up perfectly and weren’t soggy or undercooked when you pulled them out of the muffin cups.
I never would have thought to make other types of treats using Pillsbury refrigerated doughs, but I have now tasted with my own taste buds that crescent rolls can be more than just rolls.
Now is your chance to win a Pillsbury Creative Creations prize pack so you can cook up your own Pillsbury creations in the WCatDD Pillsbury Creative Creations Giveaway!
One winner will receive a Pillsbury Creative Creations prize pack which includes: 2 coupons for free Pillsbury Crescent Rolls or Refrigerated Dough Sheets and a set of holiday severing platters.
Make sure you follow the directions carefully. All giveaway entries should use the ENTRY FORM. You only need to fill out the ENTRY FORM once, unless you decide to additional earn extra entries at a later time. You can earn up to 12 entries into the WCatDD Pillsbury Creative Creations Giveaway by doing one, some or all of the following:
Ways to Earn Entries:
Make sure you use this ENTRY FORM for your entries to count!
- THIS ENTRY IS REQUIRED FOR ALL OTHER ENTRIES TO BE VALID (+1): Visit www.pillsbury.com and tell me what your favorite Pillsbury crescent appetizer recipe you like or would like to bake.
- Post this giveaway on your blog (+3)
- Tweet about this giveaway using the “retweet” link at the top of this post or by tweeting “Pillsbury Crescent Rolls can be more than just rolls! Enter the @WCatDD Pillsbury Creative Creations Giveaway! http://bit.ly/7tieEb” (+1)
- Subscribe to WCatDD (+1)
- Follow WCatDD on Twitter (+1)
- Fan our WCatDD Facebook Page (+1)
- Follow us on Google Friend Connect (+1)
- Follow us using Network Blogs (+1)
- Add the WCatDD button to Your Site (+2)
One winner will be selected at random for this prize.
Giveaway ends at 11:59 PM EST, December 31, 2009.
Visit our Giveaway Rules page for general giveaway rules that also apply to this giveaway.
Disclaimer: This post consists of my (and/or fellow tester) opinions only. No compensation was given for this review/giveaway. I did receive a free Pillsbury Creative Creations gift pack and information from Pillsbury through MyBlogSpark to use and test for the purposes of this review. This did not affect the outcome of this review.