While I may be a self-proclaimed chocolate connoisseur (yes, I did have to spell check that word) I do not claim to be a gourmet chef when it comes to baking with chocolate. I considered my fish oil truffles to be a huge feat and dream of being able to make stuff like mole that artistically blends chocolate into a delicious sauce on a meaty entree. Fortunately, there are people out there who are already experienced with using chocolate for more than just baking desserts, and these great cooking minds came together in the 2009 Scharffen Berger Chocolate Adventure Contest.
The Chocolate Adventure Contest challenged people to invent a new recipe using Scharffen Berger chocolate and at least one of their adventure ingredients, such as fresh mint, crystallized ginger, Pandan leaf, and banana leaf to name a few. They could make the recipe for any course in one of their two categories of Sweet and Savory. The panel of judges, which included John Scharffenberger and Chef Elizabeth Falkner, selected two grand prize winners (one for each category), who each won $10,000, and this year had three second place prizes who won some great books and a custom selection of Scharffen Berger chocolates. After going through the 1,000 recipes that were submitted, the grand prize winners in the Savory and Sweet Categories were named.
Congratulations to Karin Lazarus, creator of the Sweet category winning dish – Chocolate-Filled Pandan Dumplings and Edwina Gadsby, creator of the Savory category winning dish – Smoky Cocoa-Dusted Pommes Frites with Peanut Cumin Dipping Sauce!
Check out these two awesome videos where judge Chef Elizabeth Falkner cooks up both of these yummy recipes:
Sweet Recipe Winner – Chocolate-Filled Pandan Dumplings
Savory Recipe Winner – Smoky Cocoa-Dusted Pommes Frites with Peanut Cumin Dipping Sauce
Didn’t those look delicious? If you think you can create an award winning recipe then stay tuned! Details for the 2010 Scharffen Berger Chocolate Adventure contest will be coming in autumn of 2010 so start planning and testing your recipes. Let me know if you need a taste tester…I’ll eat (almost) anything with chocolate in it! In the meantime, feel free to browse their award winning recipes or watch the video about judging the 2009 contest.
For more information about Scharffen Berger Chocolate products and their Chocolate Adventure recipe contest, please visit www.scharffenberger.com.
Photos and videos are courtesy of Scharffen Berger.
What’s Cooking at DD Scharffen Berger Chocolate Adventure Giveaway!
Three winners will receive the following Scharffen Berger Chocolate Baking Bars:
- 3oz 41% Cacao Extra Rich Milk Chocolate
- 3oz 62% Cacao Semisweet Chocolate
- 3oz 70% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate
- 3oz 82% Cacao Extra Dark Chocolate
- THIS ENTRY IS REQUIRED FOR ALL OTHER ENTRIES TO BE VALID (+1): Remember to post this as a comment. Watch both videos and tell me which recipe is your favorite – Sweet or Savory – AND tell me one of the ingredients used in that recipe.
Use this ENTRY FORM to earn credit for the following extra entries! I will be diligently removing non-qualifying entries from the comment section. Consider yourself warned. 🙂
- Post this giveaway on your blog (+3)
- Tweet about this giveaway using the “retweet” link at the top of this post or by tweeting “I’m taking a Chocolate Adventure with Scharffen Berger. Win gourmet baking chocolate in the @WCatDD Giveaway! http://bit.ly/anJMql” (+1)
- Subscribe to WCatDD (+1)
- Follow WCatDD on Twitter (+1)
- Fan our WCatDD Facebook Page (+1)
- Follow us on Google Friend Connect (+1)
- Follow us using Network Blogs (+1)
- Add the WCatDD button to Your Site (+2)
Three winners will be selected at random for this prize.
Giveaway ends at 11:59 PM EST, May 7, 2010.
Visit our Giveaway Rules page for general giveaway rules that also apply to this giveaway.
Disclaimer: This post consists of my (and/or fellow tester) opinions only. No compensation was given for this review/giveaway. This did not affect the outcome of this review.