We deal with stress all the time. If it’s bills that need to be paid or running late to a meeting or worrying about kids, stress is a constant presence that strives to take away our peace. To you all I say, “Don’t succumb!” Don’t let stress take away your well-being or peace of mind. As someone who has changed careers to leave environments that live on stress, and as someone who is learning to rest on His promise, here are a few tips for reducing stress.
- DO pray. You may think it’s super human to not let stress around affect you. And it just might be. But that’s why prayer can be so effective. I guarantee that if you take 5 minutes in the middle of chaos to say a quick prayer, asking the Lord for peace and poise, that you will be able to approach the rest of your day in a calmer fashion. DON’T think that you have to do this on your own.
- DO keep things in perspective. Honestly ask yourself, “Will the world end if xyz happens?” DON’T let stress make things appear to be bigger deals than they actually are.
- DON’T blame others if you aren’t able to do something perfectly or on time. DO be honest from the start about what you can or cannot handle. If you can’t manage 50 different things on your plate – it’s OK! Asking for help is normal and accepted in most situations.
- DON’T procrastinate. Putting off work will create unnecessary stress and work for other people. DO be aware of timing and scheduling so that you don’t burden people with your lateness and you won’t be rushing to get things done by a certain deadline.
- DO use other tools to help you stay relaxed. Some people listen to music. Other people have stress balls. Fresh air and a quick turn around the block can also be beneficial. DON’T glue yourself to your desk. Mental breaks are necessary and should be taken at regular intervals.
These are just a couple if suggestions to help avoid stress. If you need additional tips, you can also check out my article Keep Your Job and Your Sanity by Maintaining a Balanced Work and Home Life.
What tricks do you use to not stay stressed?