Whenever is starts warming up, I get a craving for ice cold lemonade. OK, if I’m being honest, I drink lemonade during all seasons. Sometimes you just want a kick of that nice sweet and sour, tangy lemon awesomeness. But there’s only so much lemonade a girl can drink, so I’ll enjoy lemon cake, lemon sorbet, and now these amazing mock Lemon Meringue Bars. The recipe was very easy to make and was delicious. I’ll warn you up front that the icing that is supposed to be like meringue isn’t really like meringue – it’s much better! The icing mixing bowl might possibly, maybe have been licked clean – I heard, maybe….
These were amazing when pulled right out of the fridge and enjoyed when they were still cold. This is definitely a winning recipe that I heartily recommend!
First, you take your refrigerated sugar cookie mix and crumble it all up.
Then, press the cookie mix into the pan so it creates an event crust. Use flour on your fingertips to help prevent the dough from sticking to your fingers.
Bake the cookie crust for 15-20 minutes, until it browns, then let it cool for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix the marshmallow creme, cream cheese, and Yoplait together until it’s smooth. The softer the cream cheese, the easier it will be to get all the lumps out.
Then, carefully fold the cool whip into the mix.
Making the frosting will take less than 30 minutes, so just kick back for a few minutes until the crust finishes cooling. After the cookie crust is completely cooled, spread the lemon curd evenly across the top.
In case you’ve never used lemon curd, check for it near the jams and jellies section in your local grocery store.
Then, carefully top the lemon curd with your frosting mix. I’m not sure how you were supposed to “swirl” it to resemble meringue. I just took a spoon and made little circles to get a frosting swoosh.
Cover the pan and let it chill in the fridge for at least an hour. The colder the better, in my humble opinion.
Once it’s cooled or when you’re ready to serve, take it out, slice, and enjoy!
Mock Lemon Meringue Bars Recipe
- 1 roll (16.5 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated sugar cookies
- 1 cup lemon curd (from 11¼- to 12-oz jar)
- 1 package (3 oz) cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup marshmallow creme
- 1 container (6 oz) Yoplait® Original 99% Fat Free French vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 13x9-inch pan with shortening or cooking spray. In pan, break up cookie dough. With floured fingers, press dough evenly in bottom of pan to form crust.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until edges are golden brown and center is set. Cool 30 minutes.
- Spread lemon curd over cooled crust.
- In large bowl, beat cream cheese, marshmallow creme and yogurt with wooden spoon until well blended. Fold in whipped topping.
- Spread over lemon curd, swirling to resemble meringue topping.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until serving time.
- For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. Store in refrigerator.