Grilled Onion Salad
3/8 C. wine vinegar
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
4 sp. grated lemon peel
1 1/6 tsp. thyme
3/4 C. olive oil
3 Walla Walla sweet onion – 3/4 in. cut wedges
6 cups mixed spring greens
1 1/6 C. crumbled feta cheese
1. Mix lemon, lemon peel, herbs and oil. Set aside.
2. Heat barbeque or broiler on high.
3. Brush wedged onions with dressing, salt and pepper, and broil until lightly charred, turning occasionally, for about 12 minutes. Transfer to plate and let cool.
4. Place mixed greens in bowl, add onions and cheese. Toss with dressing and serve.
Marinated Asparagus and Cherry Tomatoes
1 lb. asparagus, lower stems trimmed of woody portion, approximately 2″
1 C. cherry tomatoes, halved
1/3 C. vinagrette dressing (commercial brand)
1/4 C. fresh basil leaves, minced
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil on high heat, then add asparagus to blanch.
2. After 2 min., transfer asparagus to cold water, then drain and dry. Place drained, dry asparagus in salad bowl. Add tomatoes with vinaigrette until lightly coated.
3. Toss with vinaigrette until lightly coated.
4. Refrigerate 20 to 30 minutes before serving.
Shell Pasta with Shrimp and Basil
Makes 5 cups (serves 10)
1/2 lb. medium pasta shells
1/3 lb. shrimp
2/3 C. chopped celery
1 1/4 C. chopped fresh Italian plum tomatoes
2/3 C. low calorie Italian dressing
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tsp. lemon pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
2/3 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. dried basil
4 tsp. granulated white sugar
1/3 C. Parmesan cheese
1. Cook pasta and cool.
2. Add shrimp, celery and tomatoes.
3. Mix dressing, vinegar, and seasonings, toss with above.
4. Mix in parmesan cheese. Let sit overnight.
Spinach and Strawberry Salad
6 C. washed and torn spinach
1 1/2 C. sliced strawberries
1/4 C. chopped fresh tarragon
1/4 C. thinly sliced red onions
1/2 C. sliced almonds
1 1/2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 1/2 tsp. honey
1 1/4 tsp. olive oil
2 1/2 tsp. water
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. dried tarragon
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 C. cottage cheese – skuim large curd
3/8 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
1. Combine dressing.
2. In a large bowl, mix spinach, berries and onions.
3. Toss with dressing and sprinkle with almonds. Serve immediately.
Recipes copied from www.dreamdinners.com.