1 cup Milk
2 tablespoons Cider or White Vinegar
Dry Ingredients:1 teaspoon Salt
1 1/4 teaspoons Baking Soda
1/3 cup Sugar
3 cups Flour
1 1/2 tablespoon Anise Seed
1/2 cup Currants or Raisins
2 tablespoons Milk (optional glaze)
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Combine wet ingredients & set aside. Whisk dry ingredients together in medium bowl. Add wet ingredients & stir to form soft dough.
3. Turn dough onto floured surface & knead into round loaf. Put on sprayed baking pan. With a sharp knife, cut an “X” on top. Brush with milk, if desired.
4. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
5. Cool 15 minutes before serving, cut into wedges or 1/4-inch slices.
1/3 cup Sour Cream
1 teaspoon fresh Dill, chopped or 1/4 teaspoon dried Dill
2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
1/2 cup diced Onion
One 8-ounce Baking Potato, peeled and diced
1 1/2 cups Milk
1 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
1 pound Asparagus, trimmed, tips removed and set aside
Salt and Black Pepper
1. Mix sour cream and dill in small bowl and set aside.
2. Sauté onion in butter in medium saucepan over medium heat for 5 minutes.
3. Cut asparagus stalks into 1-inch pieces and add to pan along with potatoes, milk and stock. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
4. Purée soup in two batches in blender or food processor. Return to saucepan, add asparagus tips, and heat until tips are tender. Serve with a dollop of dill sour cream.
Recipe copied from www.dreamdinners.com.